sstone's blog

Thursday, August 12, 2004

falling stars, Rising stars?

Most nights at 2 AM I am so sound asleep I don't even hear thunder. Last night I set my alarm for 2 to have the best viewing time for the meteor shower that hits us every year on 8/11. Saw several in the 30 minutes I managed to stay awake in the back yard. Had I been in a darker area, had I a better pair of eyes, if there weren't so many things to block my view, I might have seen dozens. But that was enough to remind me of other star parties. Years ago we drove out out to Ft. Davis on the same date, viewed Saturn through a large telescope near the observatory, then dragged the kids and Gary out of bed at the same hour. I sat on the car and exclaimed about the light show, while the boys snored inside it. They'll never let me forget it. Another time 10 or 11 years ago when we went out to our 2 acres in the country near Coronado's Camp and watched the sunset and the stars falling just a little later, with Shawna and Thayne, stretched out on quilts on that soft grass. Remember?
I kept thinking of the songs I'm working on. "Stars Fell on Alabama", "Blue Moon"and "Moon Over Miami" among them. Now to get up the courage to go sing them at Spano's or somewhere.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Thom Lemmons said…

    How about "Stardust," "Catch a Falling Star," or , in a different art form, Van Gogh's "Starry Night"? For astronomers, singers, artists, and lovers, the stars are always out.

    From one writer to another,

    Thom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home