sstone's blog

Monday, August 23, 2004

Chorus

I'm on a high, just finishing weekly chorus practice. It was great to be back with friends I haven't seen much since the spring. People who share this love for good choral music performed as flawlessly as we can.

I had doubts all summer about our new director. He didn't impress me at all in his audition for us in the spring. He brought music that I had done in Jr. High. But I think I'm actually going to like his style. He's growing on me. He has brought more difficult music for us than I expected and is working with us intensely, not allowing any slackers. With the 8 years of chorus behind me directed by our former leader, I have the confidence to tackle almost anything. We will soon begin working on 15 opera choruses for the spring concert. That sounds wonderful. The choruses in La Traviata were challenging and fun to learn. And even more fun to perform in those great costumes.

This has given me new motivation to keep up the quest for a voice teacher who can work with me on Saturdays or Sunday afternoons. My teacher for the last 2 years is no longer available. I have found and developed this musical ability and confidence fairly late in my life, so there's always a little feeling of urgency to push myself as much as I can for the time I have remaining.

It is hard to describe the thrill I get from singing, and working hard enough to do it well. Of course there's the ego boost when someone tells me I'm good or when we know our concert music was beautiful. But it goes beyond that to truly intangible, inexpressible senses of accomplishment, of connection with my emotions in the music, of connection with God, who made me this way. What unspeakable joy to be able to use a gift that was given to me by Him, just to make me happy and to glorify himself!

2 Comments:

  • At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi.

    I have been keeping up with your blog, and was surprised to see that you are accepting anonymous comments now.

    It worries me a bit that you put yourself out there for all the world to see, and even let any potential stalkers know when you are going to be alone at the park, but I guess that's just the paranoia in me.

    Concerning your invitation to comment on your postings, do you solicit comments on the content, the effectiveness of your choice of words, or what? Do you really want critiques of your work, as an editor would provide, comments on the input you are getting from others, or are all comments equally welcome?

    I have a few pet peeves, such as the use of the word "jealous" versus "envious." Or "eager" vs. "anxious." Or the terms "most unique" or "more perfect" or "different than." Do you care about such?

    I don't want to be a discourager, but you know me well enough to know I won't knowingly deceive you just to make you feel good. What is it that you want to see in your comment section?

    With love,
    --Concerned in Corpus--

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger mezzonurse said…

    I don't solicit comments. What you see on the blog and my profile is what you get. I have been told to write like I talk. That's my voice. I haven't used the word envious in a long time, I think. One comment last week was something I disagree with, but that's her privilege to say what she believes.
    I think I've been careful to keep vital details unsaid. I never said what park. No one knows more details than I publish. I have been trying to refrain from using whole names.
    At any time I can change the settings and allow no comments at all, or make my profile blank.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home