sstone's blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

A Foreign Exchange Christian returns home

I'm a foreign Exchange Christian. That's my claim to fame. I even wrote and published an article about this concept. The deal is that I have always loved to sing, and never had enough opportunities in my church. I began singing in the choir in the church down the street just to have the musical experience that was lacking in my life. What began innocently enough developed into a love affair with God, fed by my love of music.
The fact that the majority of the Christians in the choir speak a different dialect of churchy language didn't deter me. I learned to speak with their accent. The fact that I carried lots of baggage with me was no hindrance to the hospitality of my host family. I learned to navigate in my new territory while realizing all along that my citizenship was back at my home church. The one without a choir.
Now I am realizing it is time to return home. Not that I don't love my adoptive "country" and want to maintain a strong relationship with my new family, but home is where I belong. My church family is looking to me for leadership, in a small way. I'm on the praise team every 3rd week now, limiting the Sundays I can sing in the choir with my second church family. Other conflicts (work and another chorus) are taking precedence over my adventure in that foreign "country".
So what did I learn in my prolonged (10 year) sojourn in another church? I learned the language unique to that denomination, but it really isn't much different than mine. I learned that Christians are Christians no matter which of these churches they prefer. I learned that the many styles of music that stir my soul and add to the worship experience are on equal footing with God.
I brought back lots of souvenirs: new songs in my heart, and even some shared with my home congregation; pictures in my mind and scrapbook of my many new friends; a fresh, renewed faith in the God who led me to both of these places and continues to lead me in the path He has chosen.
Lord, keep my eyes on the path!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's beautiful. Sad, but beautifully expressed.
    Tim

     

Post a Comment

<< Home