sstone's blog

Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year

I really love Christmas. Especially that Jesus is the reason for the season. But all the festivities, parties, decorations, great food I don't eat in the summer, my Christmas sweaters, all of it is great.

The Christmas season is a really busy time for a singer. I have seen busier seasons when I was singing in 2 choirs and preparing for a February opera. All the little private gigs that chorus members got to sing in past seasons were fun. Not so much to sing this year, but enjoyable and busy anyway.
Christmas music is probably my favorite. (OK, I think my favorite music is whatever I'm concentrating on at the time.) I love very old music. The aires and melodies of the 300-400 year old music are great. I hope that these melodies and that style of music will not be allowed to die. I'm doing my part.

But no matter how much I enjoy the season, I'm ready to get all the clutter put away again. Ready for a new year. Since we had very little Christmas gathering here, we didn't even put all the ornaments on the tree. Just today I went through all the decorations and threw out old, cracked and discolored balls and junk that I had kept around for years. One more way to de-clutter my life. I keep thinking of all the junk that we had to go through when Mom died a couple of years ago. And that was after she had had three or four down-sizing moves. While I hope and believe that I will be around here many more years, I still dread the thought that someone will be saddled with the horrendous task of going through all my stuff. Our garage sale in October was the beginning of the process of de-cluttering. Culling out the Christmas stuff was another step.

Next step is to continue writing my book. Pick up those pieces, complete some chapters.

Happy New Year. I hope for all my loved ones that you will find something that you love, to either get started on or to complete this year, something that you can look back on next New Year with pride and joy.