sstone's blog

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Another very special wedding

One of these days I’m going to write a book. But for now, a story.
My college friend and I were bridesmaids for each other in 1971. She contracted a rare form of cancer which quickly took her life when we were 28. A few years later her husband remarried and we lost touch for a while. After we reconnected I got to know his second wife. She was quite a woman. I really grew to love her. Then she too was struck with cancer and fought it a very long time. I sang "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" at her funeral. That was 2-1/2 years ago. Now he is going to marry again, a woman who has been widowed about as long as he has. I’ll be singing in a quartet at this wedding.
The phone call requesting my involvement in another major event in his life made me realize again how life is a journey. We just never know where God will take us. The road may not be smooth, it actually seems to zig-zag sometimes, but He walks beside us and even carries us over the rough patches. And the people who walk alongside us are precious companions on this road. We are in this together. We keep each other on the path. We celebrate or mourn, but we keep on walking, realizing how very short the journey really is. We point each other to the goal ahead of us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home