sstone's blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

plunging in

I've taken the plunge, literally, and begun to swim again. I have gained weight during the last year or so, to a point I just can't stand it any more. And I can't fit in my clothes. My arms are tight in my sleeves.
Walking is the exercise I've preferred all these years, but it does nothing for my upper body. And my knees are starting to wear out. I would not notice during a 3 mile walk that they hurt, but stopping to get into the car I could hardly bend my knees at first. Then I'd have pain enough to take Tylenol before bedtime.
So swimming seems to be the solution. It's just making myself go. I have to travel about 5 miles to the YMCA. I have to carry along all the equipment to change clothes and shower. It's got to be worth it. I noticed the first evening that my arm muscles are really being used, and even my hips notice the difference. Now if I can keep it up I may start noticing body shape changes. I hope I can make myself disciplined enough to repeat the routine at least 4 evenings a week. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home