sstone's blog

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Confidence comes gradually

Ten years ago I never would have believed anyone telling me I would be volunteering for a solo, much less gigs like this. It does make me a little nervous but I have been really encouraged to do it by my new voice teacher. And little things along the way in the last few years have boosted my confidence. The girls in the PDBC choir used to "fight" to get to stand in front of me at pageant and other performances because I'm always on pitch and know my notes and most of the words. When the Classical Chorus did Bach's "St. John Passion" about 4 years ago the director chose me to be in an ensemble to sing with the soloist (who later that year became my voice teacher). He encouraged me a lot and just having lessons boosted my confidence and got me used to singing out -- singing for someone to actually hear me alone. He was doing "La Traviata" and encouraged me to do that. It was huge in my development. One of the opera chorus members got a gig singing animal songs at the rescue the animals benefit and got 4 others of us to do it with her. Getting $100 for that was a BIG deal! She and I also sang at a wedding ("How Beautiful" acappella). I sang for the judges at the NATS conference 2 years ago, then was in charge of the music for the Highland Ladies' Day and sang a solo "Give Me Jesus" ( which I had sung for NATS) and a duet and a trio, along with several songs in the ensemble. Then this January at the Classical chorus dinner I sang "Mon Coeur S'ouvre a ta voix" and "Our Love is Here to Stay" and loved it and so did everyone else. That convinced me I am a quality singer and will not embarrass myself, and I'm capable of doing something for money. Oh, yes-- I had also planned that Valentine party for Maryanne and hired an accompanist and worked on all those love songs. Even though we were unable to do that party, I was prepared and confident enough to do it. Now I'll sing them for someone else. I hope. I have sent my "resume" to several party-planners and organizations that might hire me. We'll see--ss

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home