sstone's blog

Saturday, August 18, 2007

a page turned

Another concert is over. This time I was one of only 3 singers, instead of one of 40. Very different dynamics. I felt SO relaxed, and it showed in my singing. I intentionally did not try to perfectly memorize these 4 songs. I carried my music onstage and placed it in a stand, and even though I rarely looked at it, just having the pages in front of me relaxed me.
The audience was not very big, probably 35 to 40 people. I was a little disappointed, but not surprised. For one thing, there's a minor flood going on in Abilene and many people had been told to prepare to be evacuated. Turned out to be unnecessary, but I think it affected our attendance.
I had high complements from all concerned, and people I trust to tell me the truth told me I've never sung better. Some of my success is in choice of songs. There's no need for me to sing way out of my comfort zone. (Reminds me of the title of a magazine article I wrote) I did hit one high A, and it was fine, but that's not my specialty. I feel perfectly happy with the E-F-G range for high notes. They are clear, ringing and spinning like they should. I am almost always on perfect pitch. No brag, just fact. God gave me the gift of being able to hear the flat notes either someone else or I sing. And I usually don't go flat.
Some day I want to do a solo recital again. I have many more songs I'd like to sing, and may even vary from classical music to some old and new love songs. I just need to figure out how to publicize it and get more people in the audience. The post cards to every person I could think of were effective, but so costly. And postage has gone up even more. The programs are very expensive to print. I think my printing bill last year was just under $500. Getting sponsors was the only thing that saved me. And that is so.....how shall I say....degrading.... humiliating. I want to not have to ask anyone for money, and I want them all to be begging me to sing, sitting at home longing for an invitation they can hardly wait to get. So what is the solution? I need to ask professional singers how they pull it off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home